Translator

Sunday 21 September 2014

Memories at Sea


Hello there my fellow bloggers, I am delighted to have you stop by today and to be able to share my Nautical project with you on my blog and also on Countryview Challenges Blog after being chosen in their Top 3 Stencil It challenge. This is my second time as GD at Countryview and to say I was excited to be back is an understatement. Click on any of the pictures and they can be viewed larger.


For my Nautical project I decided to make a memory frame book that
held memories and keepsakes of a Victorian couple as they embarked on
their World Cruise and as they travelled the world picking up souvenirs. You may want to grab yourself a cuppa before you start reading my post as it goes into many details.



My book was made out of a couple of cereal boxes. I cut my card to
size, scored and glued down the spine. The finished outside measures 7x9 Closed by 2 inches in the spine.


Next I added a whole layer of tissue paper with multi medium crinkling it as I applied it. Once dry I placed a swirl stencil on top and added Grunge Paste for more texture and interest.

  
The spine I covered another piece of cereal box in tissue paper and added some string for dimension and then glued onto book.



Once this was all dry I applied a coat of gesso and a mix of Deco Art and Paperartsy paints with a brush and baby wipes, gradually building layers. I also spritz on some distress stains drying my layers in between as I built them up too. The stains pooled in the textured areas, giving depth. I finally highlighted with a little gilding wax, I now had my Olde Worlde look. My metal embellishments on the front and the corners were all given an aged rusty look, by adding some paint and distress powders, finally highlighting with a little gilding wax on them too.

Click to Enlarge


Now let's go inside. You will notice I carried my tissue paper and painting around the edges of the inside of my book. The pages glued onto the cover of my book, were yes, you guessed it cereal box again. This time I wrapped my patterned paper around the cardboard. I then distressed the edges and added some more random stamping to the pages and some of Tim's remnant rubs. I built up the arrangements onto these pages until totally happy with my layouts before finally gluing in.

  
My Eiffel Tower and anchor, I used distress powder on to give an aged rust look.


My ticket was stamped using Archival ink onto kraft card, I also stamped on little damp marks. I then tore around the edges, crumpled the paper and swiped through distress stain and distress the edges with ink. I made a mould from an old navy button my dad had. I then poured platinum utee into it and rubbed with gilding wax.


My ship I stamped firstly onto kraft paper and another on white card. This one I pressed into Versamark and embossed with powders twice heating from underneath to give a lovely glossy feel to the ship, of it being well polished . I then fussy cut it out and placed onto the kraft paper.


My Victorian couple - a free stamp, were coloured by Copics and fussy cut , I arranged a collage for interest. My little ships knots placed on the pages and in the frame my dad kindly made for me. After years in the Merchant Navy he has never forgotten this art.



The reason behind my jewellery embellishments hanging on the inside spine were to highlight a possible safe in their cabin to keep treasured keepsakes and the jewels worn. You will see a padlock, key, glasses and jewels on the chain.



Now for my picture frame. I decided on the size of frame I wanted and scored at half inch intervals, folding back and forward to mimic book pages, I glued into a box shape and added distress to age my pages. My Cheery Lynn anchor and ships wheel were both cut out of cereal packet and several layers glued together. My anchor was painted, distress powder and gilding wax added. My wheel was coloured with Copics.

  

My little bottles I placed Remnant Rubs onto, filled with sand, shells, glass beads and tied a little twine around them. My image from Tim's lost relatives pack, I coated with distress rock candy paint and once dry I added distress into the cracks. I decorated the edges with pearls and mounted onto my die cut. You will see in the mix some shells more pearls and another ships knot made by my dad.


My chandelier was to mimic some of the opulence in the ship. It started off as a wooden shape. I added ferro paste and pressed some bling onto it whilst still wet. My candles I used a distress pen on the wick and added glossy accents. The actual candle had beeswax dripped onto it.


Well I do hope you managed to get to the end of my post and have enjoyed reading my journey with this project. It was an absolute pleasure to make and the icing on the cake is it being showcased on CountryviewChallenges - thanks.

If you need to know anything about a product please just ask me. However, the majority of my products used will be found at CountryviewCrafts, fantastic service and 99% of the time next day delivery. Also CheeryLynn designs.

Would love if you have time to leave me a comment. 

Happy Crafting,

Julie x 


I would like to enter this in to :




44 comments:

  1. Wow what can I say,this is such a masterpiece....perfect in every way.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow Julie, what an amazing project!!! This book looks fantastic, from the stunning cover to each little corner of the inside! Love how you took the nautical theme and made it your own, this is brilliant!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I see a creation like this it makes me wonder if you realise what an exceptionally talented lady you are. It is a long time since I have seen such a stunning piece of work, it is magnificent! You never fail to impress, I love every little detail of this work of art.... Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Think Anne sums it up Julie! I want to add,I really mean this,this is one of the most stunning creations I have seen. Your attention to detail is breathtaking. I love everything about it,especially that chandelier.....you must be so proud of this,it's truly wonderful

    Big hugs
    Donna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Julie this is just stunning, you have so much talent...and this is a work of art. How lucky CVC are to have you as their GD today. The step by step is also fabulous, thanks for sharing your creativity here in blogland x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well Julie, what can I say. This is the most beautiful and magnificent piece of work that I have seen in a long time. Truly wonderful , and the attention to detail is fantastic. Your talent is huge and I really don't think you realise it. Well Done . Have a Good Day. Hugs Rita xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julie, this is exceptionally beautiful! I love the textured look of the front cover and the added elements are a perfect touch! Love, love!
    Ingrid xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!!!!this is impressive and brilliant recycling as well. Your attention to detail is amazing. Love all the stunning textures and layers of paints inks.

    Thank you for sharing this superb creation

    Hugs Annie xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know where to start! This is just blowing my mind! Out of this world spectacular! Every detail was done with TLC, like using actual wax on the candles! Wowsers!! The textures, the colours, the images, those cutsie little bottle of shells and sand!! I just can't stop admiring it!! This is truly a work of art! WOW, hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow !! what an absolutely gorgeous project ..there are so many beautiful details here... Definitely a crafty treat to watch :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Julie having seen your gorgeous Nautical project I just wanted to let you know this project would be perfect for the Lessology challenge going on you can check out the details here :
    http://lessology.blogspot.in/2014/09/lessology-challenge-40-travelogue.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. And even if I didn't have time to comment, dear Julie, I would feel obliged to do so! Your piece is so stunning and detailed... I took ages to go through it, scroll down, scroll up again, maximize the images, reading your excellent tutorial. I am completely overwhelmed and thank you so much for sharing both inspiration and how-to!
    Greetings from Manu

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic nautical project, amazing detail and great tutorial.
    Thank you for entering it in the challenge at The Mirror Crack'd.
    Happy crafting, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous project with so many fabulous details! Love that texture you created on the outside! Fantastic! Thanks for playing along with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just noticed you entered at Divas by Design, what a treat!!

    I am so excited you joined us for our Anything But A Card challenge!
    Hugs Pamellia GDT :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm back!!!!! Sorry Julie, I should have read your challenge list, but I wanted to make sure I said thank you for entering your stunning project at Try it on Tuesday!

    I'm so glad you decided to play along with our Recycle It challenge, your Rice Krispies box makeover is the perfect entry!
    Hugs Pamellia DT :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amazing! Love the textures and all the bits n bobs you have used inside. A work of art.

    Thanks for joining us at Rhedd's Creative Spirit.

    Moira DT xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amazing project love every single detail! So glad you joined us at Sugar Creek Hollow!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my goodness, I am speechless, this is a GORGEOUS project. I love everything about it! Thanks so much for sharing and joining us at Divas by Design. Hugs, Mirella

    ReplyDelete
  20. So gorgeous! I love the texture and color combo on that cover- pure yumminess!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is truly a masterpiece, and I can tell via your description and details how much you enjoyed making it. I am new to mixed media and I enjoyed and appreciated your generosity in sharing your process.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a stunning work! Love the texture at the cover and all the nice elements inside of it.
    Thanks for joining us at Vintage Utfordring!
    Mette - DT

    ReplyDelete
  23. When art tells a story and is rich in detail then I cannot help but be transfixed by it, that is what is happening as I read and view this post because the transformation of some humble packaging into this assemblage is nothing short of breath taking.
    I have never attempted to create such a project but you have fired me up to at least try to create something with this form to it.
    Also, before I leave I must also applaud you on the texture you achieved for the outer cover.
    A memorable project to say the very least.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  24. That's another breathtaking creation. I'm really blown away.

    ReplyDelete
  25. oh wow this is totally awesome love the insdie and the outside. Fab tutorial and thanks for sharing with us at Divas by design hope to see you again real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  26. WOW WOW WOW!!!! thanks for sharing with us at LESSology!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This has got to be one of the best projects I've ever seen - I can't tell you how fantastic I think it is! Many thanks for joining the Rhedd's Creative Spirit challenge and good luck!!! Melissa (DT)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Amazagobs! LOOOOVE:):) You would NEVER have imagined it had come from cereal boxes. Totally incredible...loved all the closies, & your explanations along the way....thanks so much for joining in with us at LESSology this month:):)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh how wonderful is this - so much texture and so much to see - love it

    Hilda x

    ReplyDelete
  30. I know I'm repeating what others have already said but I LOVE THIS and your imagination, OMG :)!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Julie, I don't remember how I found your blog but once I started looking at your projects I was instantly mesmerized and I just couldn't stop reading your posts. All your work is simply amazing, and this piece in particular is exceptional. I love your attention to detail not only in your creations themselves, but in how you write about them. I have always been partial to recycling in art and this piece is a masterpiece. I am now following you through both Google and Bloglovin and will come and visit again. Thank you for the incredible inspiration.
    :) Chris / CS Designs

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is just amazing. I love all the details and thankyou for showing us how you did it all.
    I am now a follower.
    Angela
    Papercraft Nook

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wonderful project with great textures and design elements. Thank you for joining us at Try it on Tuesday. Mar x

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is such a fabulous project, love all the details and images. Those recycled cereal box covers look so wonderful - lots of colour and textures.
    Thanks for sharing with us at TioT
    Avril xx

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is totally gorgeous. Stunning vintage look. The embellishments and details are amazing. Thanks for sharing with us at Sugar Creek Hollow.
    Amelia (DT Sugar Creek Hollow)

    ReplyDelete
  36. WOW holy smokes this is an awesome project, just stunning. I love all the textures, colours and the immense attention to detail, mind blowing!!!!

    Thank you for coming over and join in with us at Rhedd's Creative Spirit.

    Great Big Huge Hugs

    Becca xx (DT Member)

    ReplyDelete
  37. wonderful journey, thank you for sharing at TIOT.EE

    ReplyDelete
  38. For a wonderful creation!
    Thank you for participating with us in the Vintage Challenge, and good luck!

    Vibekke - DT

    ReplyDelete
  39. Stunning project... Love the colours & amazing attention to detail...WOW, WOW, WOW...Love it all... Thank you for joining us at Altered Eclectics... Hugs May x x

    ReplyDelete
  40. What a stunning project Julie, fabulous details. Love the colour and texture on the cover, wow! Ruth x

    ReplyDelete
  41. OMG you must get through a lot of cereal, OR you are a hoarder, I suspect the latter is true!

    What an amazing project. Beautiful both inside and out. So much fabulous detail, and it started life as Shreddies or something similar.

    Thank you so much for supporting our very first challenge and we hope to see you again next time.

    Lin
    The Mirror Crack'd

    ReplyDelete
  42. Brilliant piece of mixed media art, loved the texture ad colors!!
    Thank you for joining us at Mirror cracked challenge this month.

    ReplyDelete
  43. So gorgeous!!! Thanks for playing along with LESSOLOGY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  44. This is a stunning and so detailed project. Just a beautiful creative piece of art. Thank you so much for sharing with us at the Mirror Crack'd.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, I love to read your comments so I know you have stopped by and look forward to visiting your blog.

Julie x

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10